Tuesday, October 4, 2022

Sunflower Salt and Pepper Shakers #decoupage




As we started to get into fall, I decided I needed sunflower salt and pepper shakers. Needed. 
I picked up a pair of Dollar Tree  glass shakers and a package of sunflower napkins. I knew I could decoupage a set of shakers. Basically, you can customize these shakers for any holiday or birthday. Beautiful napkins can be used to create a shaker set for any tablescape.

I used two coats of yellow chalk paint to put a base on these.
Now you know, I didn't take a pic so help me out by using your imagination here.



Once these are dry I can decoupage. Here's how that works. First I remove the layers of napkin and take it down to the last layer with print. In this case I removed two back layers. This leaves me with the printed image layer I'm wanting to use to decorate these shakers. 


Now, I need to cut away some of the napkin but  I've found that using a small paint brush and water makes a better cut .
Just draw a wet line around the area to be cut. Gently pull and the cut area releases from the napkin.


 Using Mod Podge or a 50/50 mix of white glue and water, I put a coat of glue onto the shaker. 

Using a paint brush , I carefully adhere the decorative napkin into place. Immediately, I use a piece of clear plastic wrap over the wet napkin to help manipulate the fragile napkin glue situation. The plastic wrap is laid on top of the napkin and then I am able to use my fingers, GENTLY to get into all those little grooves. This is a delicate balance of time and finger work. I'm working quickly before the glue starts to set up and also I don't want to tear the paper. This method works nearly every time. I say nearly because every so often I get a bit aggressive with the plastic wrap. 

Once these dry, I give it a top coat of mod podge to seal the napkin.



These add the perfect touch to Sunflower season.



With love and gratitude,

Michele












Find me partying here all week, at these link parties, with some great bloggers.

Follow us out on Facebook, Pinterest , Instagram, Linkedin, or Bloglovin .

2 comments:

  1. These are so pretty, what a lovely idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your sunflower shakers look great! I'm featuring you this week at the Home Matters Party. Hope to see you stop by!

    ReplyDelete

01 09 10