Saturday, May 5, 2018

Coffee Filter Starfish


I made a beautiful coffee filter heart for Valentine's Day a few years back and we even teach the class down at the studio every year.
This year I got to thinking about those brown, natural filters and what they could be used for in the crafting arena. Of course, my brain goes nautical, beachy, coastal for ideas .
I think I can make a Starfish like I made the Coffee Filter Heart.

This is one I taught at the studio a while ago.


At this point I have a completed Starfish and yet I feel like it's a failed project. As I move on with the instructions you'll see why.



First , I did a quick sketch of a Starfish on poster board and traced it onto some cardboard and then cut it out.


I was careful to make the Starfish imperfect because I didn't want the finished project to look like a Star.

I  put a hole in the top now, so I didn't have a problem trying to find a spot to punch a hole later. This will be where I add some twine to hang the Starfish.

Next I made a batch of natural coffee filter flowers. (Hold the center of the filter, twist the bottom and help the top form it's natural carnation like shape.) You will probably need 100 pieces or more.

 I begin by hot gluing the flowers around the perimeter of the starfish . Then I fill in the rest. 

In the end, I gave my little Flamenco Starfish a strand of pearls, some seashells  and a sign that I stamped to say "Sea Life ",  all courtesy of my hot glue gun. 





Now, here is the problem. Every time I look at the Starfish I see this .....
.... a Starfish Flamenco Dancer. 



And then I see this.....



You see what I' saying?  

In the end, I gave my little Flamenco Starfish a strand of pearls, some seashells  and a sign that I stamped to say "Sea Life ", all courtesy of my hot glue gun. 

Even though I consider this a fail , I thought it could spark something creative for others. 
If only there were Flamenco Dancing Starfish or maybe there is one, kicking up his heels while I sleep. 

🎝🎝🎝🎜chick chicky boom, chick chicky boom 🎝🎜🎜♬♬


With love and gratitude,

Michele












Find me partying here all week at these link parties with some great bloggers.

If you are in Myrtle Beach come on down and visit us at the Coastal Bohemian Studio or check us out on Facebook, Pinterest , Instagram, or  G+ .

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10