Friday, November 7, 2014

Furniture repair trick -Barley and Brown Rice. What?

I was gifted two old pieces of furniture after I helped a client find a new location for  her new antique shop.(Oh yeah ,I have another life as a commercial real estate agent in NY and SC.)(Not anymore, I own a craft studio in Myrtle Beach...you never know what the future holds.)The pieces were dark wood ,and not my thing. I knew I was looking for exactly this type of piece to paint and what do you know...I manifested them.
I had a chalk paint idea for these pieces. Only one of these pieces will be shown here in this post.

I couldn't get to a happy place knowing that the detail on this piece was broken and missing. I didn't have time to scour the internet for replacement style wooden decorative trim.What could I use to make this trim appear solid and beautiful again?
..




Barley and Rice was the answer.C R A Z Y right? No, it did the job and has held up lovely.






 After my initial coat of white chalk paint ,I used Elmer's Carpenter's Wood Glue and gently applied the barley and rice to mimic the original trim.







I let that dry for a day. Afterwards I continued on with my aqua chalk paint , then my  clear wax and then a coat of  dark wax, of course using my favorite brush.(Love, love love this brush)

Here it is....
 I forgot to tell you that the barley and rice even had held up to my palm sander and held up perfectly.Thank you Elmer's Carpenter's Wood Glue 

                                                   
                            I hope you find this trick helpful.


Michele Michael

It's 3 years later and the barley and rice have held up .



As a form of online networking, I participate in link parties daily. It's actually thrilling for me to learn about all these different bloggers and often times I am inspired by them in my own life and business. It's been a gift for me to participate. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10