Monday, November 8, 2021

Copper Pick Up Truck w/ Christmas Tree

Welcome to the Christmas Crafts Blog Hop 2021. Each of the following bloggers created something just for this occasion so please be sure and pop over and visit them for more Christmas craft ideas.




Beverly | Across the Blvd 
Gail | Purple Hues and Me
T'onna | Sew Crafty Crochet
Marci | Stone Cottage Adventures
Michele | Coastal Bohemian
Allyson | S outhern Sunflowers
Julie | Sum of Their Stories
Vicky | Vicky Myers Creations


I made this pick up truck w/ Christmas tree from a plain ceramic paintable that I found in Dollar Tree.


This is not, typically, something that I would craft but when I saw this truck I knew I had to come up with something. 
I have rose gold coppery colored knobs on my buffet and I had picked up a copper mini tree to add to the top for some Christmas décor. This became my inspiration. I was thinking , copper statue. That's when I decided to create a faux aged copper look for this little ceramic truck.
First, a coat of copper craft paint.
After that dries, I applied a very watery mix of black craft paint and coated the piece. 
This is a quick coat that is then blotted back. The result leaves a muted down copper with an aged look in the crevices.

Next, I created the look of verdigris by using a dry brush of a sea
glass aqua colored craft paint. 
My truck needed a shabby bow to make it feel special. I had some gauze that had been tea dyed. I folded it in on itself and pinched an accordion pleated bow.
A small strip of gauze was used to tie off and complete the bow.
A little hot glue to the back and this bow is looking good.
Follow us out on FacebookPinterest , InstagramLinkedin, or Bloglovin .




16 comments:

  1. Wow, it looks like a completely different ornament! Such a lovely technique and the bow is a great finishing touch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really cute, "trees in trucks" are my favorite Christmas themed decorations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the color direction you took with the little truck that is usually seen as red. What a very unique idea making it aged copper!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am always blown away with what's created with dollar store items! This is so adorable and quite on trend! You rocked this ornament!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Allyson. I was inspired by the copper handles on my buffet and the copper Christmas tree.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think copper was a great choice. I like the shine and the antiquing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this truck! I haven't seen them at my local Dollar Tree, but I'm going to have to go check again soon! I love that you painted it copper instead of the usual red. If I find one, I may have to paint it in the Seahawks football team colors to match the rest of my Christmas stuff. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's funny. Thanks. I tried to find more after I painted this one and my #Dollartree was out too. I wanted to make one as a hostess gift.

      Delete
  8. What a fun way to dress up the truck. The aged copper look is great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was very happy with the copper look.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the copper truck. you nailed it! The antiquing is amazing. Thanks for sharing at Love Your Creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice, clear tutorial. I, too, love copper. Years ago, I made a ceramic cowboy statue about `5" tall and finished it similarly to yours. But I used a tealy/turquoise wash. Someone picked it up thinking it was bronze and almost dropped it when they picked it up so easily!

    ReplyDelete

01 09 10