Sunday, January 10, 2021

#Chalk Paint and Distressed Stamp Look 4 Drawer Storage #Paintedfurniture

I have been meaning to remake this piece of furniture for 3 years but with all the things we have been up to, it had to wait. I knew it was going to be painted white and distressed but I just assumed I would be sanding the paint with my rotary sander to get the distressed look I wanted.

And then, I found this chippy paint stamp from Iron Orchid Designs, which I ordered online from The Painted Heirloom . 






The stamps come on a 12 x 12 sheet and there are approximately 15 stamps in this picture above. There is great variety when you start to mix up the design on the furniture.

I used a permanent black ink  for this piece but in hindsight I think a very dark brown would have been a better choice. 
 
To get started, I painted on a few coats of crisp collar chalky paint by Country Paint. It's a great way to add dimension to a piece plus it goes straight on without having to sand anything.
 
Next , I started to stamp the chippy paint marks. I love a very distressed look so I really added a lot of stamping to this piece. I suspect I over did it.








Next , I added some black ink along all my edges to help add some further distress. I simply dragged my ink pad along the edge at an angle.



This is a good shot of the blackened, distressed edges. 
And, as you can see, I stamped on some lettering. 

I used clear wax by Fiddes and son to seal the piece. Just brush it on , wipe it off and buff.  I use a bigger brush for most of the piece but I have this make up brush I had saved for the detailed areas, especially around knobs and for crevices and detail work. #Upcycle I love when I can use it rather than throw it out. 



















In the end, I created an organized print center which you can read more about here.
 





2 comments:

01 09 10