Sunday, February 4, 2018

Clay Match Box









I was at my mother in laws house the other day and saw this little clay box sitting on her counter. Studying it I realized it was  a small matchstick box covered in clay. The clay was not polymer clay but a lovely textured pottery clay. I give a polymer clay class in the Coastal Bohemian Studio and I immediately knew I was going to be making these. 
Now, many people don't use matches anymore, you rarely see them  but how about for camping, or by the BBQ or one of my students said for the bathroom. LOL. I love the idea of these for gifts, most especially hostess gifts . Totally perfect to include when you give a candle as a gift.
Start with these from the dollar store. I bought a ten or 12 pack for $1.00.

Anyway, here's what happens. 
1. Soften the polymer clay by sitting on it.
2. Run it through the clay /pasta making machine to get a nice & even flat surface.
3. Using a stamp create a textured surface.(Just press the stamp all around the clay) I used the indiscriminate script stamp for mine and a big heart with lots of scroll work.
4. Measure clay tiles by using the matchstick box. Cut to size .
5. Using a soft brush, make up brushes work excellent here ( think $Dollar Tree), dust the tiles with Mica powders. I like the rainbow effect of adding several colors and seeing them blend into one another but many people like the one color look.


6. Bake at 250 degrees for 15 minutes. I do this in a toaster oven so I know this is the setting that works. Read the directions on your clay because I believe the setting is actually 275 degrees but that would burn the clay in my little toaster oven. Let cool.








I keep toaster ovens down at the studio for clay class so this is perfect for me when I'm in the studio playing.

7. Hot glue the clay tile to the match box. DONE.









This is an example created by one of my students during class. The photos of her match box tiles came out better than mine. (Of course I gave mine away as a gift already)














With love and gratitude
Michele
Coastal Bohemian

If you are in Myrtle Beach come on down and visit us at the Coastal Bohemian Studio or check us out on Facebook, Pinterest , Instagram, or  G+ .

Find me doing the blog hop here all week.




No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10