Tuesday, August 6, 2024

Lime Basil Cookies w/Lime Powder

A few years ago I was searching around on Pinterest for recipes to use up my abundance of basil. I came across a recipe for Lime Basil Cookies Slice and Bake. 





Now , I would like to credit the proper blogger with this recipe, however, I have searched Pinterest, Google and YouTube to bring this recipe to you but cannot find the original recipe. 
I am going to share the recipe here and if you can claim this recipe please let me know. 
I'll share my tips, and the changes I made to adapt the recipe to my pantry.

These cookies have become my husbands favorite cookie. The depth of flavor is so interesting. The basil may seem like an odd ingredient in a sweet, but it comes off similar to a ginger, in my opinion. 


I can see a big bouquet of basil, a small tin of these cookies and this recipe as the perfect summer hostess gift. 


This summer harvest and freeze your basil in 3 chopped tbsp. servings. Use an ice cube tray for the perfect grab and go cube of basil.  You'll be making fresh basil cookies to include in your holiday cookie trays.

I use a hand mixer for these cookies, I do not keep a stand mixer in my small kitchen.

Lime Basil Cookies Exactly as I have it printed out.

Ingredients 
2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder 
1/2tsp salt
2/3 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp lime zest
3 tbsp chopped fresh basil 

Wash and dry the basil leaves. Finely chop them and set them aside. Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt and set them aside. Using a stand mixer, beat together the remaining ingredients,(butter through basil), until all the ingredients are fully incorporated. Beat in the flour mixture until a firm dough forms. Turn the dough out onto plastic wrap and form into a log shape. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour or overnight. Preheat oven to 375°. Remove dough from refrigerator and slice . Place them on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and bake for 10-15 minutes or until the cookies begin to lightly brown at the edges. Remove cookies from the oven and cool on a wire rack. Serve immediately or store in an airtight container for a week. 

These are my changes and insights: 

I make 2 logs from the recipe.
I double the recipe, make 4 logs and freeze 2 logs. 
I used 1/2 almond flour. I believe this make them more flavorful and more chewy.
I added 1/2 tsp lime juice. optional
I added 1 tbsp. homemade organic lime powder.




Turn these organic dried limes into lime powder.

And do it with organic oranges and lemons too.


And these freeze well too. 
                           Baking with basil. Have fun. 


With love and gratitude

Michele

Find me partying here all week, at these link parties, with some great bloggers.

Follow us out on Facebook, Pinterest , Instagram, Linkedin, or Bloglovin .

3 comments:

  1. Amazing, never thought to use basil in cookies.
    Found your post on A Stroll Through Life: Inspire Me Tuesday. My entries this week are numbered #105+106
    Hope you will join/share M-Sat at https://esmesalon.com/tag/seniorsalonpitstop/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I felt the same way when I saw the original recipe. If you try the recipe you will not be disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post will be one of my features for this week's SSPS, thank you for sharing with us, we appreciate it! Melynda @scratchmadefood!

    ReplyDelete

01 09 10