Monday, April 9, 2018

Upcycle Challenge Blog Hop - Note Cards to Home Decor



This month I've teamed up with a group of my blogging friends to bring you an Upcycle Challenge. 


The challenge is to create a project using cardboard, paper or wood. 
For my project, I chose some old note cards(paper) and some precut wood I had hanging around the studio. Perfect.

Here's what happened.
16 years ago, my family and I were amongst the first visitors to stay at the Loews Royal Pacific Resort in Orlando. This was their opening week and we were there when the media arrived and the fireworks began. It was an exciting celebration and the resort was lovely .  Inside the room were these adorable note cards that I took as a keepsake. I had saved them for all these years. Since, as a crafter, diyer , I tend to have an overwhelming supply of goodies, I thought it was time to destash my stash and  for them to have their moment in the sun . I decided to create something to finally enjoy these pretties.
I grabbed some burlap and a wooden block. I always have blocks of wood around the studio for our crafts classes. These blocks are approx 5 x 7 . I could see something beginning to take shape. The bamboo reminded me of straw umbrellas and would go nicely with the Polynesian theme.

 I pulled a few strands from around all the edges to create a focal point and a shabby edge. 
I gave the wooden block a quick dry brush for some color.
Using Mod Podge, I decoupaged the fabric to the block. It takes a bit of Mod Podge and some pouncing of the brush but it works nicely.


 After that it was just a matter of adding the note card to the center with more Mod Podge. ( I did cut the note card in half, so I was only working with the printed face of the card here.)

For the second note card I used a torn map specifically highlighting  the Pacific Ocean. 

I tore around the edges and brushed on some dark wax. Just as quickly as you apply the wax, you'll need to remove the wax and buff the paper. Just like you buff shoes , you'll buff the wax on the paper. It will leave your map looking weathered and aged perfectly.
Just Mod Podge to the wooden block and add the note card with some Mod Podge as well.



I love this pretty set of nostalgic pieces for hanging on the wall, in a little spot, maybe by a chair or a writing area, someplace  that's tucked away from the real world and you can enjoy day dreaming about the South Pacific.


We have a beach condo on Okaloosa Island in Florida and it's located next to an Air Force base that flies the giant planes and helicopters over the beaches all day long. (I'm pretty sure that's why these note cards made it out of the craft stash and out into the real world. )We get excited every time we see  them ,the planes,  but for me, it takes me back to one of my mom's favorite old movie musicals, South Pacific, by Roger's and Hammerstein. The movie is a love story set in the South Pacific Islands during World War 2 and has some of the most memorable music of our time , including the very hauntingly beautiful "Some Enchanted Evening".





Here's a link to the original movie trailer from 1958.


What do you have in your craft stash that could be an exciting upcycle? Maybe even something that could bring back some meaningful memories.

You'll be impressed with the surprisingly clever and ever creative minds of the Upcycler. 

Here are the links to all the other Upcycle blogs that participated in the Challenge so be sure and show them some love by visiting their blogs. 





With love and gratitude
Michele
Coastal Bohemian
Find me partying here all week at these link parties with some great bloggers.
If you are in Myrtle Beach come on down and visit us at the Coastal Bohemian Studio or check us out on Facebook, Pinterest , Instagram, or  G+ .

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10