Tuesday, November 26, 2019

Christmas Mermaid Mixed Media #Mermaid #mermaidart #mixedmediaart #mixedmedia #coastalchristmas #nauticalchristmas.





This was a fun and easy project and perfect for Coastal Christmas Decor 





I started with a 11 x 14 canvas from #ACMoore
I swiped on some green and red acrylic paint using a big 2 " chip brush. After that dried I added some black stripes. I was looking for a plaid effect.



The canvas seems very bright to me at this point and so to tone it down I paint on some Gesso and using a baby wipe I wipe it back , leaving an ethereal finish.





Next, I stenciled on the word "Believe". You could also paint this on freehand.
The mermaid is a silhouette I had saved from a Cricut stencil I had cut for another project.
I lay the silhouette down and stencil around  her to add some mixed media drama to the canvas. I used Archival Jet Black Ink .

I toyed with the idea of cutting the mermaid from a holiday theme paper but in the end I traced her onto the canvas. Then, I used a white  oil pastel to fill in the silhouette.


The oil pastel needs to be applied and then rubbed with your finger to  fill in the canvas.



I love the way she looks so far but I know something is missing so I add a dark green oil pastel shadow around the entire silhouette.

I had a stencil I bought at the Dollar Tree that was perfect for this piece. I stenciled it into the corner. To create a vignette effect I laid down some a black oil pastel and rubbed it into a shadow. Can you see the hid chimney in the canvas? That was not planned but it is very fitting , wouldn't you agree? 

Creating and playing with all things Christmas Bohemian. Very Coastal. Very Bohemian.









With love and gratitude,

Michele












Find me partying here all week, at these link parties, with some great bloggers.

If you are in Myrtle Beach come on down and visit us at the Coastal Bohemian Studio or Follow us out on Facebook, Pinterest , Instagram, Linkedin, or Bloglovin .

2 comments:

  1. That looks really nice!! Thanks so much for linking up at #AThemedLinkup 6 for All Things Christmas. Shared.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Visiting again to say thanks so much for linking up with me at my party #AThemedLinkup 34 for All Things Christmas, open until December 31 at 12:05 am. Shared again on social media. I invite you to check out all of my themed link parties. Any link you add to my parties can also be added to my Unlimited Monthly party for more views and shares!!

    ReplyDelete

01 09 10