Google+ Followers

Monday, December 12, 2016

Seashell Trees

Good day all. I wanted to share with you how fun and really easy these seashell trees are if you just have a little patience.


To begin with I used  an 11 x 14 canvas from A.C.Moore. I wanted a textural background and really thought I wanted a white on white look when I first started. 

I mixed 1 craft size white acrylic paint 2 oz. with saw dust and Elmer's white glue 4 oz. and threw in about 3 heaping tablespoons of Plaster of Paris and enough water to make the texture of batter. (You are basically looking to thicken and texturize the paint for a fluffy effect) You can play with the amount of saw dust and plaster here

Apply to the canvas and edges . You may prefer to pour this onto the canvas and spread with a spatula.
After this dries overnight spray on some Tim Holtz distress inks until you achieve a look that you like. 
It's easy to achieve a flowing color wash look by spraying the inks and then gently spraying with a spray bottle of water over the top. At this point you can use  brushes and a blow dryer to spread the inks around the surface until you feel happy with the look. Let dry.
Find the middle of your canvas and hot glue a piece of driftwood to simulate the tree base.Now you'll add your starfish topper. Yes now. Everything should be in perfect order for you to fill in the blanks.
I like to go across the bottom of the canvas and create the width of my tree by hot gluing larger seashells . You'll want pointy shells and broken pointy shells to use to enhance the limbs. I like to make them jut out. 
Continue up the tree adding shells and sea glass and driftwood, always the larger on the bottom. You will have spaces at this point. 
Now you will go back and fill in the spaces with the smaller shells, smaller glass and pearls or any other tiny bling.
You will probably have lots of hot glue stringiness.Wink. No problem. Run the blow dryer over the the piece and they will pretty much disappear.  

I do like to tuck bits of moss into the tree also to simulate seaweed. 
Next Seashell Starfish. 
As always thanks for stopping in and reading what I have been up to down at the studio. 
If you have questions I'm happy to help. 
Happy Holidays 
Michele 

 Don't forget to follow along on Facebook , Pinterest, Hometalk  and Google +